Within the Trenches Episode 1

Play

911headGood evening folks! I am very happy to announce that the first episode of Within the Trenches went live today. My good friend Whitney joined me and I have to say that it went great. For those who don’t know what Within the Trenches is, this is a podcast version of a segment with the same name on Jabber Log that revolves around 9-1-1 dispatch. I started writing about my experience about a year ago and it was meant to be interesting and educational for the readers, as well as therapeutic for myself. The posts have done great on my blog and I wanted to take it a step further by creating a podcast based on the stories of 9-1-1 dispatchers.

I recently launched a Kickstarter project for this podcast idea in order to raise $1,500 to buy the equipment needed to make this a four person show. As of right now I have 8 days left in the campaign and $330. This first episode is a taste of what this show is all about and it is my hope that I can still make my goal. I will provide the link below to the Kickstarter page where you can pledge and depending on how much you pledge, you can get a reward as well. Right now the majority of the pledges are going for $25 and that can get you an official Within the Trenches t-shirt, a thank you on the sponsor page and a mention in one of the upcoming episodes of the show. I hope you will enjoy this first episode and there is a lot more to come. Thanks again to Whitney and everyone who has pledged to help bring the project closer to it’s goal.

Within the Trenches Kickstarter Pledge Page

15 comments on Within the Trenches Episode 1

1. rmarti23 says:

For those who are currently listening to this podcast, please post a comment after you have listened. Thanks!

2. gfrieseeps says:

As a paramedic it is really interesting to hear about EMS from the other side of the radio. Keep it going.

1. rmarti23 says:

@gfrieseeps Thank you very much! I’m definitely going to keep it up. My co-worker and I had a great time doing it and this coming week I hope to have a couple more dispatchers with me for episode 2.

3. AntonioKing1 says:

Loved this! I’m in the final hiring process for 911 Dispatcher in Blue Earth County, MN. Would love to ask you some questions if you’re able to answer. Any chance I can shoot you an e-mail?

1. rmarti23 says:

@AntonioKing1 Thanks for the kind words and of course you can email me. You can either use the button on the left side of this page and fill out the form or you can simply email me at rm2visions@gmail.com. If you could, please spread the word on this podcast. It’s part of a Kickstarter project and I’m looking for more pledges. I have 5 days left to meet my goal but even if I’m unable to make the goal I’m still going to keep the podcast going. It’s something I’m passionate about and I can’t stop now. Thanks again and looking forward to hearing from you.

Ricardo

4. tabs says:

Great podcast, very informative. Its time the public is made aware of the fact that “dispatchers” are the true first responders. We are there first and stay with the subjects until someone else arrives. Yes, there are a lot of funnies which I think relieves some of the stress of the job. I dispatch for Panama City Beach PD and 911 in Florida.  🙂  Can you say “Spring Break!!”

1. rmarti23 says:

@tabs Panama City Beach and Spring Break sound like it would be a crazy time in dispatch. I can’t even imagine what you go through over there. Thank you for what you do and thanks for the comment, I appreciate it. This is just the beginning my friend so keep spreading the word. I have 5 days left on my Kickstarter campaign and I am looking for more pledges but even if I can’t make the goal I’m going to keep doing the show. I had a great time doing it and it looks like the show is spreading far and wide. Thanks!

5. rmarti23 says:

To those who have been listening to the first episode of Within the Trenches, please like Jabber Log on Facebook to keep up to date on new episodes. Also please visit our Kickstarter pledge page and pledge what you can to help us meet our $1,500 goal. We have 5 days left and we are $605 in. Cheers!

6. Msltlstyx says:

Just finished listening to your Podcast!! This is great. Can’t wait to listen to more!!!

1. rmarti23 says:

@Msltlstyx Thank you very much! I really appreciate it and now that the project is fully funded I will be able to bring you and everyone else more episodes. Stay tuned and don’t forget to ‘Like’ Jabber Log on Facebook for updates on Within the Trenches.

7. A911MOM says:

I’ve been a dispatcher for 28 years. I have to say, I still love the excitement and challenges the job still brings. This will be a fun site to see how far you can get the word out. It would be nice if other dispatchers would call in and share their experiences. PTSD is something that many do not talk about as we are conditioned to keep our feelings in, but the reality is that many suffer. This might even be a good way for our fellow brothers and sisters to talk amongst each other. Not sure what your plans are for the site, but glad to see there is finally some discussions about this eclectic profession. A911MOM

1. rmarti23 says:

@A911MOM Hi and thank you very much for the comment. I hope the word on this show spreads far and wide so that I can go to different centers and speak to other dispatchers about their story. I want them to share how they got into the profession, what it’s been like for them and to share their calls. Thanks for listening and please ‘Like’ Jabber Log on Facebook if you haven’t already to keep up to date on new episodes from Within the Trenches.

8. mrschief1 says:

you two are great – so informative for the general public – I am retired and it is good to hear that basically every comm center gets the same kind of call and crazy callers. so happy that your kickstarter campaign was successful; I give thanks to dispatch magazine on-line for leading me to you. Best of luck!!

1. rmarti23 says:

@mrschief1 Thank you very much for the comment and yes, every comm center gets the same crazy calls and odd callers. 8) Dispatch Magazine On-line was a big help in my overall funding with their article. I was blown away and my head is still spinning. Episode 2 has been posted and if you haven’t already, please ‘Like” Jabber Log on Facebook to stay up to date on new episodes. Thanks again and stay tuned!